Tuesday, December 10, 2019

The Norwegians is a Dark Delight

What would happen if the Coen Brothers wrote a script for the stage? 


Photo courtesy of Dark and Stormy

After seeing The Norwegians by Dark and Stormy Productions (my first ever time!) last weekend, I think it would look similar to that.

Part whodunit, part murder mystery, part dark comedy, The Norwegians tells the story of two women who try to kill their ex-boyfriends but make the mistake of hiring a gang of Minnesotan Norwegians to do it. The Norwegians like to strut and pontificate about their fearsomeness, but when it comes down to brass tacks they've got nothing on, say, the mafia (or the Italians living in Wisconsin, as it were). This gang is much more Swedish Chef than Tony Soprano, and their consistent inability to actually do something rather than talk in circles demonstrates just how befuddled they are. Several twists reveal surprising connections between the characters as the drama unfolds and by the end we are left guessing as to who will actually follow through with the assassinations. It's a little like a farcical, more romantic version of Fargo.

The best moments of The Norwegians for me were the ones poking fun at Minnesota's deeply Scandinavian roots. As a descendant of Norwegian and Swedish immigrants myself, I found many of the jokes spot on. Luverne Seifert is especially good as Tor, the ringleader of the Norwegians and a proud Scandinavian. Seifert nails the regional accent and has several witty quips. As Tor's partner Gus, Avi Aharoni hits several emotional peaks and valleys; he's especially adept at projecting crazy eyes from beneath his parka. Jane Froiland was a little baffling to me as Olive; her emotions blow like the wind, and it could be a little hard to pinpoint the character's state of mind. Regardless, Froiland clearly relishes her role and it seemed like she had a lot of fun. Sara Marsh was chilling as the jaded, jilted Betty. I fully believed she was more than capable of assassination, and I hope I don't encounter any women like Betty anytime soon.

The scenic design by Joel Sass is bare bones: a simple table, four chairs, a table cloth, a desk lamp, and a scattering of "snow" on the floor is all it includes. It really worked for me, casting strong contrast and shadows throughout the stage (along with some innovative lighting from Mary Shabatura) that gave this show a film noir patina. The costumes by A. Emily Heaney are similarly straightforward but evocative, and it's amazing what a complete world is conveyed through such a simple and limited number of objects.

This was my first time at a Dark and Stormy Productions show, and I'm sure it won't be my last. I loved the tongue-in-cheek nature and fearless parody of Minnesota culture, which is long overdue in my opinion. There are a few meandering moments in the script, but overall The Norwegians is the #tctheater live action rendition of a Coen Brothers movie that I never knew I needed. It's a good seasonal performance that is void of the treacly holiday spirit so prevalent at this time of year, meaning: if you're also a Grinch in December, skip the holiday shows and head to Northeast Minneapolis for this darker, wryer performance instead. A word to the wise: this performance space is definitely hard to find, especially on dark winter nights, so allow yourself more time than you think you need to get there so you don't get lost (like I did... multiple times). The Norwegians runs through January 5; for more information or to buy tickets, click on this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment