Thursday, March 5, 2020

A Passing Feeling for My Fair Lady

Am I getting jaded or are things not aging well? Maybe both?


Photo by © Joan Marcus

If you were to ask people to name the first thing that comes to mind when you say the word musical, one of the first is likely to be My Fair Lady. Its vaunted pedigree, from the book adapted from George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion, to the original Broadway performances starring Rex Harrsion and the one and only Julie Andrews, to the film starring an effervescent Audrey Heburn (bolstered by Marnie Nixon's stunning vocalizations), is about as elite as a musical's could be and well beloved by fans all over the world.

Photo by © Joan Marcus

I, like I suspect of many readers, was raised watching and loving the movie version of My Fair Lady. I knew every word by my early teens and dreamed of playing Eliza Doolittle someday.

Photo by © Joan Marcus

The current tour at the Orpheum is an admirable rendition of this beloved show (I won't bother recapping the plot as I assume it's quite familiar to most readers - if you really need a synopsis, click here). Laird Mackintosh is horrifically (but appropriately) conceited as Professor Henry Higgins; I cannot comment on Kevin Pariseau's rendition of Higgins' kindly counterpart Colonel Pickering, as he was sick the night we attended, but his substitute was warmly enjoyable in the role. Shereen Ahmed's nimble voice trills through Eliza's plight as Higgins' dusty but determined plaything, and I respected that she kept up a good fight throughout her role. Sam Simahk is sparklingly silly as Freddy Eysford-Hill, and Adam Grupper clearly relishes the role of scoundrely Alfred P. Doolittle. The ensemble cast is quite strong and are fun to watch swanning around the gilt stage in their elaborate costumes.

Photo by © Joan Marcus

I was quite dazzled by the vastness of the set design, which includes endless (but quickly moving) painted backdrops and scrims. The focus, however, lay on a deliciously detailed, rotating 360 degree view of Higgins' home, a truly remarkable feat of scenic design that is flexibly and versatilely used. I was really impressed at how seamlessly this piece moved in and out and the variety of experiences created with just the one element; it had to have been mind-bogglingly expensive to build and I have zero clue how they move that thing weekly between faraway cities, but damn it's impressive. The costumes are likewise delightfully luxe and period-appropriate, and production design junkies overall will find endless amounts of eye candy to enjoy throughout this staging.

Photo by © Joan Marcus

All that said, it surprised me when, sitting through this very well-produced tour of a classic musical that I was raised to love, things just didn't hit quite right. In the era of #metoo, revitalized women's movements, and the all-too-prevalent sexism hitting our female changemakers on all fronts (R.I.P. Elizabeth Warren's devastatingly impressive presidential campaign), I just couldn't find a way to enjoy this show. Higgins' allegedly comedic insults came off as screeching misogyny; Eliza's ignored protestations rang a little too similarly to domestic abuse; and Higgins' mild comeuppance towards the end just couldn't satisfy the thorough thrashing I wanted him to get.

Photo by © Joan Marcus

Please note, dear reader, that I fully realize that all of the above impressions are thoroughly subjective and are my own opinion. The audience laughed right on cue and seemed to have a dapper time watching this show, and I suspect that any other long-term fans will equally adore this well-produced version. It's got everything that Broadway-lovers seek, and the production design is truly gorgeous and special. This post is not a screed against the show or a treatise on why you shouldn't attend.

Photo by © Joan Marcus

This review is, simply, my confession: I have a severe case of sexism fatigue, and My Fair Lady triggered right into it. This is a beautiful production and please go if you enjoy My Fair Lady, or if you've never seen it and want to experience a well-made version. You'll get your money's worth. The magic was just gone for me this time around, and I'm left mourning the days when it was easy for me to slip into a theater and shut my filter off. The world has changed around many of these classic old shows, and it's just harder and harder for me to watch them simply as fictional stage plays without my modern gaze.

Photo by © Joan Marcus

If you want to get tickets to My Fair Lady go quick - it's only open through this weekend. Click on this link to order them.

Photo by © Joan Marcus

No comments:

Post a Comment