Monday, March 14, 2016

A Reminder: Anyone Can Make Art

I've had this on the brain all weekend...


So I had to share briefly.

A good friend of mine invited me to a performance this past weekend. She didn't even know much about it, so my date and I walked in blindly to the experience, completely unsure of what to expect. Fortunately, we were blown away.

I Am Woman was a one-night-only (for now; I hope they bring it back!) event, which encompassed original work (dance/spoken word/storytelling/drums) by several women of color. Separated into vignettes, each interacted with each other differently, sharing stories of their lives or families, their interaction with art, their struggles with societal norms, and more.

Each piece was beautifully performed, and it was so heartwarming to see multiple generations share the stage. The entire show blew us away and was a reminder to me that sometimes the best, most soul-sating things are the simplest. "Real Art" doesn't exist only in museums and on Broadway stages; it's around us all the time, and we can tap into it at any moment. I Am Woman could have been performed in a living room, a coffee shop, on a street corner, or anywhere else, and it really wouldn't have made it any less impactful.

So, an encouragement: keep writing, keep painting, keep dancing. Let yourself get swept away in the process of creation. You may find some truly amazing things as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment