Monday, November 25, 2019

Phantom of the Opera Remains a Hit

Which of the old grand dame musicals is your favorite? 


Photo by Matthew Murphy

I'm thinking the tours that never seem to die - Lion King, Les Miserables, Beauty and the Beast, basically anything Andrew Lloyd Webber has ever made - and return time and again to our historic stages. Is there one you just can't seem to help returning to?

Photo by Matthew Murphy

Mine has to be the Phantom of the Opera. The transcendent original Broadway recording starring Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman was one of the first three CDs I ever owned on my own, and I wore that thing out playing it on repeat and pretending to be Christine Daae.

Photo by Matthew Murphy

That's probably the reason I've now seen the touring production so many times. It also doesn't hurt that despite my nostalgia, the 25th anniversary production as redesigned by Cameron Mackintosh is a gorgeous representation of the best Broadway has to offer with powerful musicians and stunning, exquisitely detailed sets and costumes.

Photo by Matthew Murphy

I won't waste anyone's time re-hashing the plot or production design - see my post about this current tour from two years ago (click here) which still stands, or the original (click here) for that detail. What I will do is update a few of the newer castings and let you decide how many times you should see this theatrical classic.

Photo by Matthew Murphy

Derrick Davis returns in the role of the Phantom, and he remains the undeniable star of this show. His supple, passionate voice is my second favorite Phantom only to Michael Crawford (extremely high praise), and he is honestly the main reason I decided to see this show again. He's a 100% performer, oozing the Phantom from his scaly facial prosthetics to his tippity toes, and he leaves everything on that stage by the end of the performance. Emma Grimsley is a new add as Christine Daae. She can certainly sing circles into the role, but I didn't sense quite the level of passion from her as I wanted. The same goes for Jordan Craig as Raoul; he can sing, but the chemistry between he and Grimsley fell a little flat (which for me is a driving point of the show's believability, especially with a Phantom as magnetic as Davis). Trista Moldovan returns as Carlotta and presents all the ego the role deserves; and Susan Moniz is a new add as Madame Giry, one I greatly enjoyed following throughout the show.

Photo by Matthew Murphy

I stand by my earlier exhortations that you splurge on closer seats to the stage for this production; I don't normally say so, but the extra money here really will be well spent. The design is truly out of this world, and you will get infinitely more pleasure out of plunging into that luxurious world if you can really see all its fine points. Phantom of the Opera remains a wonderful option for an early Christmas gift or escape from your family over the Thanksgiving holiday. Don't miss it before it's gone on December 1; click here for more information or to buy tickets.

Photo by Matthew Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment